Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Fade to Gray: No free lunch or civility - The Saratogian

I’m in the process of selling one house and buying another, so you’ll excuse me if I haven’t paid the closest attention to latest machinations of Washington, D.C.

But much like Colonel Klink running stalag 13 on Hogan’s Heroes, I know if members of Congress are in charge, hoodwinks and nonsense will be afoot. For example, I keep hearing people who pretend to be smart, talking into TV cameras and saying you can spend a few trillion dollars and it won’t cost anything.

I’ll stop myself here and note I should not write another column that even hints of politics because we are such a polarized society right now and no matter what you say, someone will be upset. So, I’ll stay out of the deep end of the pool and try to just talk common sense.

There is no free in this world. Let me give you an example. You find yourself in need of a place to stay for a couple of days and your friend says, “Hey, I have a comfortable couch, sleep here for free.” You take him or her up on the offer and in the process the friend orders a pizza and says, “I can’t eat all eight slices, help yourself, free.”  So, you do. On Monday you shake hands and go about your life, convinced the couch and food were free.

Six months later you run into the same friend and being polite, ask what’s new and he or she tells you they are in the process of moving. They then casually tell you they have most things packed but they aren’t sure how they’ll be able to get that big heavy couch down the stairs an into the truck they rented. Yes, the same couch you slept on. Suddenly the free stay and pepperoni pizza emerges with a price tag.

You can say, “Wow, that couch sure sounds heavy, good luck with it.” Or being a human being who owes this person, you say, “Let me help you.”

So free is never free in anything in this world. Not really. It’s also worth pointing out that rich businesspeople didn’t become rich businesspeople by sitting idly by and letting others tax them into the poor house. Rich people find a way to make others pay. If you need further proof that taxes on the rich will find their way down to you and me, stop by the dollar store this week, but be certain to bring more than a dollar.

While we’re talking politics, without really talking politics, can we all agree chasing people into the bathroom to yell at them isn’t very civil or effective. I know if I was sitting on my porcelain throne, having some looney tune scream through the door wouldn’t make me want to do anything to accommodate them. In fact, if I was leaning their way to begin with, it would probably make me vote the other way out of spite.

I hate how uncivil we have become with our politics. I remember cringing years ago when President Obama was giving a speech and some moron in Congress who was listening screamed “liar.” I don’t care if you are 100-percent convinced someone is being untruthful, there are times to keep your mouth shut. I once had a boss I couldn’t stand and talked to my father about it. My dad listened carefully to my side of the story and then gently said, “All true and I’m on your side, but, if you can’t show respect to the person, you must respect the position they hold.”

On another topic, is it just me or does it feel like a thousand pounds of pressure has been released from Albany since Kathy Hochul took over as Governor? I know her politics are similar to the man who held the job before her, but her style is just so refreshing. I know she’s in her honeymoon period with the media and eventually the knives will come out and the questions will get tougher, but boy is there a palpable difference in the political atmosphere.

Last word on the political thing. I’ve noticed the little lawn signs are back advertising candidates for various public offices. I know it’s just campaigning but the repetitiveness of them is a bit mind-numbing. I went down one road in Rensselaer County and saw four identical signs for the same person within fifty yards of each other. We get it, you like the guy and want him to win, but can you spread the love a bit?

Tell you a secret. Someone approached me once about running for office years ago and I turned them down flat. It was an easy gig for solid pay, but I’m just not a person who can be trusted to vote with any party all the time. Maybe it’s the South Troy in me, but wrong is wrong, horse poop is horse poop, and no amount of perfume can change that.

Besides, how could I write books if I spent all my time passing trillion-dollar bills that cost nothing.

John Gray is a news anchor on WXXA-Fox TV 23 and ABC’S WTEN News Channel 10. His column is published every Sunday. Email him at johngray@fox23news.com.

Adblock test (Why?)


Fade to Gray: No free lunch or civility - The Saratogian
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Jays manager John Schneider saves woman choking at lunch, given free beer by restaurant - Fox News

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Schneider sprung to action when he saw a woman choking on food while at a lunch with his wife near the team’...